Thursday, December 15, 2011

Where can I find a good, authentic menu from the 40s for an Old Hollywood themed wedding?

We're having a 40s Old Hollywood theme for our wedding, we're having it in an old theater and everyone will be dressing the part! Now we just have to figure out a menu. I want it to be formal but also to fit in with the 40s theme...any ideas?|||I would just have a nice wholesome menu. Obviously, back then they didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I would just go with a baked ham; baked turkey; mashed potatoes; a few veggie choices; rolls; etc.





You should read some articles about authentic 1940's weddings and/or talk with some older people! Back then, the weddings were very simple due to the war. Food and fabric was rationed. Many couples were married in a church (or the pastor's office) and then returned home to the bride's parent's home for a simple cake and punch reception (or had it at the church.)





Here is one article:


http://www.favorideas.com/wedding-themes鈥?/a>|||Gosh - I don't know - When I think of food from the 1940s, I think of WWII and food rationing, and prior to the start of the war, I think of the Depression - I guess I can't reconcile that with a formal fancy menu.|||When I read that answer, I thought of Spam. Maybe powdered eggs. But I will be looking because I think this is an interesting question.





ETA: Try foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#40

No comments:

Post a Comment